Type and Quantity of Microorganisms Contamination in the Ambient Air at Municipal Landfill Site, Khon Kaen Province
A study of the type and quantity of microorganisms in the ambient air at 6 municipal landfill sites, in Khon Kaen, include 3 small size and 3 large size of landfill. Collect sample by Andersen Single Stage Impactor. The concentration of microorganisms in large municipal landfill site ranged from 406 to 618.13 CFU/m3 morning, and from 238.51-482.39 CFU/m3 evening. Small municipal landfill site ranged from 292.59 – 352.80 CFU/m3 morning, and from 254.41 – 343.91 CFU/m3 evening. January to showed microorganisms large municipal landfill ranged from 945.71 - 1,735.85 CFU/m3morning, and from 1,079.86 – 1,185.56 CFU/m3evening. Small municipal landfill on morning 1,244.40 – 1,545.88 CFU/m3 on evening 1,090.35 – 1,601.29 CFU/m3. Resulted to show species of microorganisms in 6 landfills were not different, 3 spices of bacteria were Bacillus spp., Coagulase-negative staphylococci, Enterobacter spp. and 4 spices of fungi were Aspergillus fumigatus, Aspergillus flavus, Mucor spp., and Chaetomium spp.
2. Lai KM, Emberlin J, Colbeck I. Outdoor environments and human pathogens in air. Environmental Health. 2008; 8(Suppl1): S15.
3. Danuta OL, Krzysztof U, Agnieszka W. Microbial air quality in offfices at municipal landfills. Journal of Occupationnal and Environmental Hygiene. 2004; 1: 62-68.
4. Sangkham S, Sakunkoo P. Concentration and Size Distribution of Viable Airborne Fungi at Landfill Site in Khon Kaen Municipality: Khon Kaen Province. KKU Res J. 2014; 14(MMP22): 1329-1339. Thai.
5. Aspergillus Fumigatus. [Internet] 2018 April 18 Available from: https://www.honestdocs.co/what-is-aspergillus-fumigatus
6. Zhang J, Xia L, Du W, Zhang C, Gong X, Ji S, et al. An investigation on microbe aerosol size distribution in a waste sanitary landfill site. Chinese J Environ Eng. 2009; 9: 1620-1624.
7. Breza-Boruta B. Bioaerosols of the municipal waste landfill site as a source of microbiological air pollution and health hazard. Ecological Chemistry and Engineering. 2012; A19(8): 851-862.
8. Kalwasinska A, Burkowska A, Swiontek Brzezinska M. Exposure of workers of municipal landfill site to bacterial and fungal aerosol. CLEAN–Soil, Air, Water. 2014; 42(10): 1337-1343.