The Study of Cassava Digger Attached to a Tractor's Side


  • Chaiyan Junsiri Assoc. Prof. Department of Agricultural Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Khon Kaen University, Khon Kaen, Thailand
  • Chainarong Lomchangkum Lecturer, Department of Food and Biological Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Rajamangala University of Technology Isan Khon Kaen Campus, Khon Kaen, Thailand
  • Nattaporn PhongAran Lecturer, Department of Tourism and Hospitality, Business Administration and Information Technology, Rajamangala University of Technology Isan Khon Kaen Campus, Khon Kaen, Thailand.


Cassava, Digger, Side of a tractor


This research objectives were to design and construct a cassava digger prototype attached to a tractor's side. The prototype had a working width of 60 cm. The digger was attached to the left side of an L-shaped frame on the tractor's three-point hitch. Testing of the prototype was carried out to study factors affecting its performance and to compare the results with a farmers' cassava Digger. The research's factors were a digger speed at three levels: 2.30, 2.60 and 3.20 km/hr and a 9-month age of cassava plants. The results indicated that the machine's suitable speed was 3.20 km/hr Other results were as follows: the percentage of total cassava tubers dug out was 88.80%, and of complete cassava tubers dug out was 73.05% of damaged cassava tubers was 15.75% of undug tubers remaining in the soil was 11.20% of total losses was 26.95% field capacity was 0.68 rai/hr, time efficiency was 72.66% and fuel consumption was 4.67 l/ rai.


Office of Agricultural Economics. Cassava export statistics. Retrieved from 2021-2022 [Internet]. 2022. [cited 2022 Jan 10;] Available from :

Lomchangkum C, Junsiri C, Sudajan S, Laloon K. A Study on the Mechanical Characteristics of Cassava Tuber Cutter. Agricultural J. 2020; 16(1): 63-76.

Chamsing A, Senanarong A, Sngiamphongse S, Sutthiwaree P, Ksaehancharpong Y, Wannarong K, Sangphanta P. Research and Development of Moldboard Plow Type Cassava Digger. Society of Agricultural Eng J. 2009; 15(1): 13-18. Thai.

Junsiri C, Panpoom A. The study of cassava root conveying equipment attached to a truck. Adv Mat. 2014; 931(932): 1555-1560.

Lomchangkum C, Junsiri C, Sudajan S, Laloon K. A study of cassava physical behavior for a design of cassava combine harvester. Asia-Pacific J. 2021; 26(1): 1-9.

Chawkongchak S. Design and Development of Cassava Root Plucking Out Machine. Agricultural Science. 2016; 47: 463-466. Thai.

Langkapin J, Kalsirisilp R, Tantrabandit M. Design and Fabrication of a Cassava Root Picking Machine. Agricultural Res J. 2012; 30(3): 300-311. Thai.

Wongkasem W. Cassava Planting. Department of Export Promotion Bangkok; 1993. P. 96-110.

Mhuntumgan W. Cassava Harvester 2009 [Internet]. 2022. [cited 15 Mar 2022]. Available from:

Bobobee E. A novel technology to harvest cassava mechanically. Kwame Nkrmah university of science and technology Leipzig University. Germany and Department of Agriculture Engineering; 1993.

Wongpichet S, Chusilp S. Development of Harvesting Process. Cassava with a cassava digger. Research Report: Faculty of Engineering Khon Kaen University; 2005. Thai.

Shigley JE, Mischke CR. Mechanical Engineering Design. 5th ed. McGraw-Hill; 1989. p. 799.

Krutz G, Thomson L, Claar P. Design of Agricultural Machinery. John Wiley and Sons. New York: Chicheter Brisbne, Toronto, Sigapore; 1994. p. 472.